Friday

The Musical: Curt@!n$


Every once in a blue moon I find some good music on myspace; where I discovered Curtains. His style is what initially grabbed my attention; if you’re a fan of his music then you know what I’m talking about. Not just a rapper but a young lyricists with a rock star swagger. You’ve seen him in Live Mechanics ads and Kanye himself even shouted him out in the April 07’ issue of Complex as one of the true geniuses of fashion. So watch out for this guy, he’s coming hard. Ladies and gentlemen we bring to you- CURTAINS.

What separates you from other artists today?

What separates me from other artitst today is just my whole demeanor. This aint no act, no sideshow, i am who i am like it or love it.

Who would you sign with tomorrow?

Uhhh i'll sign with anybody that got the right motivation to get Curtains to the next plateau.

What is the process of writing for you, what are you most inspired by?

I have no process really for writing songs. I may make a song in my head on the street and hear a beat later that reminds me of the song, or it may be I hear a beat and come with a hook, its all different. But my prime source of inspiration is my mood. However i'm feeling really depicts how I attack a record. I'm not gifted at "pretending" on a record, how u hear me sounding is how i really sounded that day.

What is the style of your records?

My records are really emotional for the most part. Even my upbeat, flossy, shit talking records all have that sense of conviction in it. I'm real emotional when i rap, my mind just drifts and my soul comes out on the beat.

Can you tell me more about the messages embedded in your songs?

I'm not a preacher, im not a political person but I do know whats goin on in the world. And the best way i see fit to teach people something is to not blatantly tell them. Like i have a record called "Word of Advice" on the new mixtape called "THE GREAT ADVENTURES OF DOPE BOY C" and its heavily laced with messages and parables, but its not totally in your face. Its hidden gems that you gotta pick up on and totally grasp. The problem I see with most "Conscious" artist artist is that they forcefeed messages to people...you gotta give it to them in a form where its graspable to their understanding.

What is your favorite song on the album, why?

My favorite joint on the mixtape has to be "Can I Get Down". I love that joint cuz its so stylish and fly. The rhymes a super good and it just has a real conversational feel to it. It sounds like nothing thats out right now.



What is the story behind your album?

The story behind THE GREAT ADVENTURES OF DOPE BOY C is basically about a young man in a city dealing with all the bullshit that young people deal with. Haters, Love, Money, Cothes, Women, Emotions, Materialism. Its a real story going on you gotta check it out.

Is it possible to look at music and style separately?

Nah music and style go hand in hand. You gotta look how you sound or have some cohesiveness to your look if you talking that fly shit.

What is it about “performing” that satisfies you?

The response from the crowd really. I love the crowds energy

Who would you like to work with?

Right now, Kanye, Lil Wayne, The CLipse, Cee-Lo and Joe Buddens

What artist and or/ genre of music influenced you growing up?

LL Cool J hands down was my inspiration growing up. I was heavy on Wu-Tang too...But LL was it for me

What projects are you currently working on?

Currently working on the album and the pre-album...They both are gonna be masterpieces.



How do you want to be remembered in the music industry?

I just want to be remembered as a legend. One of the greatest that ever done it. Hands down.

When and where can your music be purchased?

Music available online at Dope City

and check the blog for updates always at Click for blog
Click for myspace


me likey!

-sham