Sunday

1-of a-Kind: Oliver & Co.


Once again the wonderful world of myspace has brought my attention to another young entrepreneur--Mr. Oliver El-Khatib. Oliver is the Brand Manager for Drake and the buyer for numerous streetwear brands out off Canada. Take a peak inside to learn more about the new guy on the scene.

Being the Brand Manager for Drake, what is your opinion of most celebrities' image?
Im not into `celebritys' style. but Every single case is different. Actors don't have to have good personal style or aren't expected to. Musicians are supposed to be fly. Especially rappers, whether you embrace it or not, hip hop is all about fashion. These days Rockin tims and a champion hoodie is just as strong a statement for a rapper as rockin Dior jeans and martin margiela.

I just know a lot of `regular' dudes and ladies that would shit on `celebs' if they had the income and could travel the world to shop.


Drake-COMEBACK SEASON MIXTAPE CLICK HERE

What's your ultimate goal?

making a living out of what I love doing. To create and be a part of something with a global influence. To be able to live life exactly the way I feel it should be lived.

What inspires you?

Listening, looking and feeling.

How would you describe your style?

Comfortable, low key. Its in the details for me.

What's your opinion on the current state of streetwear lines?

There are a few brands in that market that are cool and they know who they are. With those exceptions, it feels like streetwear is not a market but one big brand. Brands are going to want to shake that cliché and hope that they can just be considered fashion.

Describe what your duties are being a buyer for Ransom/Goodfoot/Nomad.

Ransom/Nomad/Goodfoot come together to comprise a company that is called Unitedfront. The stores are located in each major city in Canada, with the flagship shops in Toronto. Each store is a separate concept, but they are all under one roof, making it uniqe. I am the buyer for Ransom, my job is to create a fashion direction for the store and assemble the best brand story to communicate that direction. We have just launched our own brand for Fall/Winter 07. The brand is exclusive to us in Canada, but is available in select retailers in the U.S. such as Union NY, HUF SF, and St. Alfreds in Chicago.

Can fashion still have a political ambition?

Fashion rarely has political ambition. But it can definitely be inspired and affected by politics. Fashion is like any art, it's a way to channel and comment on what's happening in your world. Not necessarily through the garment itself, but through the lifestyle and marketing behind a brand.

What has the greatest influence on your career?

My family. I have come from a very eclectic background and have been exposed to many different cultures.

On my fathers side, my grandfather was from Lebanon, my grandmother was from Finland,

On my mothers side, my grandfather is Canadian and my grandmother is Icelandic.

Also, Toronto is a special place. We are not melting pot. We are a Mosaic.


What's your definition of beauty?


Its subjective. I don't think many people can explain what makes something beautiful to them. But im never ashamed of what I think and feel is beautiful.

What is your philosophy?

Be humble and work hard.

contact info: oliver.elkhatib@gmail.com
getonthegoodfoot
ransom
nomad

-sham