Friday

Encore! Mode en Paris pt. 2

I must admit that I have a wandering eye, especially when it comes to fashion. Don't get me wrong, I love Balenciaga, Valentino, Chanel, Fendi and all of the fabulous established fashion houses, but I adore even more the up and coming designers who are making their first tick mark on the board of fashion. As I peruse various magazines and websites I come across new designers quite frequently and while there a many, some have that certain je ne sais quoi that catches my eye. As Paris fashion week wraps up, I decided to think outside of the box and introduce you to some very noteworthy up and coming designers.
Haider Ackerman, a native Belgian designer, brought a somewhat austere, androgynous collection for fall 2008. This season Ackerman introduced asymmetrical cuts, layers, layers and more layers, gathering, plumage, draping and lots more. Unlike most runways seen for the fall, black was not the staple color for his gender bending collection, Ackerman incorporated white and cream along with gray. Void of the many attributes that define a piece as being feminine, make sure your face is painted very nicely when wearing his garments.
As much as I despised geometry class, I would've loved to take a fashion geometry class from designer Junya Watanabe. Simplistic creativity is the first thought that came to mind when I viewed this collection. Watanabe produced the most sincere draping that I have ever seen, reminiscent of nothing and the future of draping in fashion. Using jersey as the foundation fabric (as Doo. Ri did in her fall 2007 collection) Watanabe introduced a collection like none other, with models wearing head pieces, shaped like the most intricate geometric figures, with some models having their faces covered. This was the perfect example of something being so simple yet intriguingly complex all at the same time.

Fabulously yours,
Jennifer Pauline