Tuesday

Phifer Art Gallery: Marcus Kennedy Exhibit

As I continue to grow in life I find it very important to not only know fashion but art as well. I often attend galleries and collect paintings from local artists here in Atlanta and one of my favorite artists is Marcus Kenney-“Midnight In America”, Marcia Wood Gallery.

Marcus Kenney born and raised in Louisiana now lives and works in Savannah, GA. In 2007, the artist had solo exhibitions of his work in New York, Boston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Paris, London, Montreal, Sun Valley, ID, Portland, OR, Minneapolis, St. Louis and Kansas City, MO, among others. Marcia Wood Gallery has included Kenney in group exhibitions at art fairs including Pulse Miami, Pulse NY, Flow Miami, Art Chicago, Affair at the Jupiter, ART 212 and Year_07 in London. His bibliography includes Art in America, Oxford American, The New York Sun, The Boston Globe, Art Papers, New American Paintings, and National Public Radio.....

Kenney’s work is very innovative and something that I’ve never seen before. Upon entering the Marcia Wood Gallery it was floored with collage mediums as it seemed as if I was in a children’s art museum. But the more I looked at the engaging work ; acquired materials in densely-layered and painterly compositions, as well as for the emotionally-powerful, provocative, yet highly poetic subject matter found therein, I saw that his work raises the issues of racism, politics, sex, religion and the environment.

Below I’ve included three of his best works that I captured with my camera at his exhibit.

m a r q u i s . p h i f e r