Saturday

1-of a-Kind : Jay Wilson Interview



I think myspace is a great marketing tool for young talented people and like many, this is when I was first stung by the Jay Wilson bug. I randomly went to his page and was blown away!! His collection screams high fashion. I called up my resources and had to get an interview with him. The World has to see his pieces!!!

Jay Wilson has shown his clothing line at numerous fashion events and functions. From Caribbean Fashion Week, to Brooklyn Fashion Week (end). (( Come on BK!! )) Jay Wilson is the fresh face in the fashion industry and with a friends list like Patricia Field and Kesh, I would mos def look out for him. I can't wait untill he comes out with a men's line, I so need someone to start dressing me!!



What is the name of your line and where did it originate?
The Name of my main line is self-titled Jay Wilson, which is the name of my alter ego. My soon to be, diffusion line is entitled B.L.I.N.D which is an acronym for Be Loved In Notorious Doses...

What made you want to design a fashion line?
To be honest I have no idea it just kind of happened. I’d always been around creative things; I’ve been dancing and performing on stage for years and after high school, I applied for Musical Theatre School and didn’t get in, It was a total shock to my system I was left with no idea of what direction to send my life in...I had to go back to the drawing board and it just so happened that I came across the prospectus for a Fashion Course at Westminster College in London and I decided to go and the rest is history...I just believe that its got alot to do with fate...every thing happens for a reason.

How would you describe your work?
I would have to describe my designs as chic, elegant, and above all timeless.

Who do you have in mind when you design?
For me when I design I’m normally thinking about the strong females who surround me in my life,i’m so blessed to haves such strong woman around me....I have my mum ,who is just myultimate hero.
My auntie Joolz and Christie Dinham (CEO of Tyler Media and Fashion How) who both have such belief in what I do. Its people like them who constantly drive and inspire me. There fearlessness and the passion that all these women have is just unbelievable...I sometimes feel unworthy to be in there presence...It sounds bizarre, but it is so true.

What are your signatures in your designs?
I would defiantly say fabrics such as Chiffon, wool crêpe, silk satin, and the way in which I chose to use the fabrics, elasticised waistbands and buttons...I just love them!

What is your favourite piece from any of your collections?
My personal favourite has to be the “red-riding hood” jacket from my Spring 07 collectition, it’s just so fierce...and it looks fabulous on every one, it’s a statement piece without being in your face...defiantly a classic.

Is designing difficult for you and, if so, what drives you?
No way! I have always had a great Illustration talent so getting my ideas down on something physical has never been a problem. In terms of ideas and concepts, I guess that just comes naturally.ok, so sometimes I do get artistic blocks, but that really don’t last for long. Design is a real joy for me I absolutely enjoy it.

What is your definition of beauty?
For me beauty is something that comes from for within...I know it one of the biggest cliché around... but it’s true....I love to see women who have confidence and somewhat of a purity to them....its doesn’t matter whether you have false nails,make-up,and a full head of weave on..its more about the energy that you give off to the world.
I’ve seen a million and onewomen who totally ooze of beauty but there attitude or approach to life is simply all wrong...and it brings them down...making them somewhat ugly...a lot of them just need to find that switch to turn that light on...and the thing is every single person has it...it all depends on whether you want to find it or not....

Have you ever been influenced or moved by the reaction to your designs?
I cannot even go on to describe the feeling that I get when people comment on my designs; It just makes all my hard work mean so much more.’m constantly being influenced by clients ,press and stylists who I work with....its actually crazy...but its almost like a partnership in a way and I like that...its really nice.

As a designer, who do you wear and what is in your closet?
Oh god that’s one huge question...i wear every one...if its One thing I adore about fashion it’s the dressing up...I am so inspired by Patricia Fields (the stylist for the sex and the city and the Devil wears Prada), her ability to mix clothes and styles is mind blowing...the colours the textures, the prints...god I know her work form a mile away.
I wear everything and anything..from Couture Galliano to things I find in thrift stores....it’s more about the complete look for me.....if it looks hot its got my name all over it...but one thing I must say is I always try to look chic....style is eternal....I’m not really one for trends...if I like it I’ll wear it...I just don’t care...I think that’s the great thing about Europe...where just all so different...its totally Fierce!!

What can the public expect from your line in the future?
They can expect to go B.L.I.N.D...That is all I’m allowed to say for now...

When and where can the public purchase pieces from your collection?
At the moment, everything from the main line (Jay Wilson) is made-to-order...but my diffusion line (B.L.I.N.D) is going to be available via the Jay Wilson website Jay Wilson Believes.com...shipped everywhere from London to Iraq, im going to make the whole world see white...:-)
Jay Wilson On Myspace

that's all.

marquis.phifer