Saturday

LB Showroom : Zenobia Morrow


Imagine your wildest dreams. Imagine painting works of art that will one day be the future of the new Black Renaissance. Picture your greatest fantasy. Picture a flight to New York, a trip to Europe, a wonderful stay in Dubai. Draw your ideal young woman. “Pretty, witty, girlie, worldly… right?

As many people fantasize about a lavish lifestyle that entails traveling the world, creating the future of Black art, or just being plain beautiful and well respected lady, I was fortunate enough to interview a woman who doesn’t have to fantasize, for this is truly her life. I present to you Zenobia Morrow. A Howard University alumnus, Zenobia is already taking the world by storm.

It is rare to see her without a glowing face or fabulous attire which is only appropriate for such a sophisticated young woman. Along with her many endeavors, Zenobia is also the creator of the very successful and very well known blog site, Juneseven.netA trip to this site and you can read about her marvelous black pin up art. You can see pieces of her creative talent from my personal favorite, the wonderful blackfaces collection, or more recently, read about her stay in Dubai. Coco Chanel once stated that “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. Well a job well done Mademoiselle Morrow.




How did you get involved in the arts, especially painting?
When I was little we had an artist living in our basement. His name was Peter Washington, he did wood working and painting. I would go and watch him on the weekends he would let me play around down there. That was the beginning of my involvement in the arts. In school I was always in art classes and in the summer I would go to arts camps. Also my parents were very supportive, always taking me to museums and galleries. Both collect art as well.


You just recently graduated from the prestigious Howard University, what are your aspirations for the next couple of years?

I pretty much plan 6 months in advance lol. I am moving to Dubai in early September and then who knows!

As an artist do you see a decline in the interest of art in the youth, and do you feel it’s necessary to be involved in the arts from a young age?
I don’t see a decline in interest as much as a decline in opportunity. Children will always be interested in the arts because it is self-expression and there is nothing more you want as child than to express what is inside of your heart. It is so necessary to have opportunities for children to be involved in the arts.

If you could be remembered for one thing what would you want it to be?
Style and substance.

What matters more to you- How you perceive your work or how others accept it?
I would love to say that the artist is the only one who matters in the art making process, but that would be a lie. Art making is a business like any other business. I may want to explore one subject or work in one way but in order to do that I have to make money and make art that people will buy. It’s about balance.

If a child came up to you and asked you about your career and how to get started what would be the best piece of advice to give them?
Lol I give advice like that to people all the time! Old and young. I would say if you are just starting out in any field you have to learn everything you can about the industry and perfect your craft. Research research research! What artist do you like? Who are their agents? Where do they show? Go to museums. Use the Internet and books to become familiar with movements etc. Draw everyday. Paint everyday. Never stop learning and working. I might not say all of this to a child though. When I taught drawing (in the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington DC) we just really worked on the basics and “drawing what you see, not what you think you see.” Build a good foundation; I guess that is the first step.

You have a blog site Juneseven; can you tell me a little bit about it and what made you decide to create a blog?
I have had a few gallery type websites just to give people an idea about my work. Juneseven came because I also wanted to share a bit of my experiences and my life. What/who inspires me, that sort of thing. I also needed a blog so my family and friends could keep up with me because im not so good at calling lol.

You have numerous beautiful paintings on display on the site, do you plan on selling them or is painting just a beautiful hobby?
Thank you! Yes do sell paintings. Sometimes I just have stuff lying around that I will sell I also create LeBelle Noir pieces by commission. I have been working on getting LeBelle Noir product made because of the overwhelming response to the girls. I look forward to making my work available to more people.

List 10 words that best describe you as a person.
Georgian. Globetrotter. Networker. Trend forecaster. Music lover. Market watcher. Daydreamer. Shoe enthusiast. Artiste. Rarity.

-Ansley