Tuesday

Fashion Icon: Audrey Hepburn

A great relaxing day for me includes a couple of movies, browsing Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue or Nylon, maybe all of them, introducing myself to a new artist (today it was the great Romanian sculptor Constantin Brancusi, whom I can thank for inspiring Alexander McQueen for my delicious heels) and ending the night with a toast to the good life (Pinot Noir always satisfies my pallet). I’d be living in a fantasy to believe that I could enjoy the aforementioned day more than once or twice a month, but luckily, this month’s fantastical day came this weekend and I was eager to savor it.
Pondering on which movies to watch, I zipped through my mental rolodex of some old Hollywood, cinematic pleasures created pre 1980’s (the period when movies were full of romance, glitz and glamour). My picks? My Fair Lady, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Roman Holiday, the one commonality that relates all of these movies, great actress Audrey Hepburn. Watching these movies caused my fashion reflexes to instantly think about the iconicism that Ms. Hepburn embodies, especially when it comes to fashion. Aware of the garments that emphasized her waif like physique Hepburn was a delicate flower, recognized for keeping it simple and sleek. The LBD or little black dress, made famous by Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel, can be seen on Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s as well as the cinched waist, men’s button down shirts and many other iconic pieces of fashion, seen in the greater portion of the films in which Ms. Hepburn was featured. Off-screen, Audrey Hepburn inspired world-renowned high fashion designer, Hubert de Givenchy, founder of The House of Givenchy. Preceding their first encounter in 1953, Hubert crowned Hepburn his muse and commenced the celebratory season of being her central wardrobe designer for films such as Funny Face, Love in the Afternoon, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Paris When it Sizzles and many others.Whether playing Holly Golightly, Eliza Doolittle, Gabrielle Simpson or simply being herself, j’adore one of the most respected actresses of all time and quintessential style being, Ms. Audrey Hepburn.

Fabulously yours,
Jennifer Pauline